Monday, August 3, 2009

Temptation

A little over a month ago, I blew out my right Achilles tendon while playing softball. I was looking at a stand-up triple but never made it to
first base. Since then, I’ve had surgery, developed complications a couple weeks later, and ended up in Intensive Care with two blood clots in my lungs. It was a scary thing considering that both clots passed through my
heart and ended up lodged in my lungs. I’m happy to report that I feel much better, am on the road to recovery, and can’t wait to shoot my bow again.

While many good things have actually come of this whole mess, one BIG thing is that I have not had a dip of snuff since the day I was admitted to the ER on July 17. It was a two-decade old habit I’ve tried to break many times
without success. But something is different now…this time, I WANT to quit.
It’s amazing how a near death experience can change a person.
Now, don’t get me wrong…my body still craves that nicotine and it plays games with my mind. I’m still tempted to dip. It’s still early yet but I pray that God will give me the strength to kick the habit this time and
resist the temptation.

As hunters, we are forced to battle some form of temptation from time to time too.

It’s tempting to shave off a couple of minutes and not bother with the safety harness.
It’s tempting to hang the stand on the property you don’t have permission to hunt.
It’s tempting not to follow up on a shot that you’re pretty sure you missed.
It’s tempting to take that shot that you know is outside the range of your comfort zone.
It’s tempting to stay on stand just a few minutes past legal shooting hours.

But every time we overcome the temptation to do what we KNOW is wrong, we build up inside ourselves a little thing called “character”. And each time we overcome a temptation, getting passed the next one becomes easier. Soon, we get to the point where we are no longer tempted because we have trained our minds, bodies, and hearts to do the right thing automatically without even thinking about it.

It’s not easy to resist temptation and sadly we all probably know someone who has no reservations about giving in to questionable, unethical, or even illegal hunting practices. But don’t let yourself be lured into this way of thinking.

You’ll be surprised at how good you feel when you do the RIGHT thing while knowing that the WRONG thing was easier or could produce better results.

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame that you had to go through what you went through, but it sounds like you learned a valable lesson in life and have a lot to be thankfull for. Most people don't experience those things until it's to late. That great that you quit, I give you and anyone that can do the same a lot of praise. I've tried sooo amny times and it didn't work, guess i have to get to the point that, like you said..i want to quit.

    ReplyDelete