Wednesday, April 15, 2009

***ARCHERY TIP OF THE WEEK***


UTILIZING THE PINS ON YOUR SIGHT - Most open pin sight set-ups come with three pins usually “stacked” on top of one another. They vary in color and sizes. Experiment with different combinations to find the set up that works best for you. The top pin is to be sighted in at the closest range, the middle pin sighted in at mid-range, and depending on the power of your bow, the bottom pin sighted in for long range. My pins are set at 20, 30, and 40 yards respectively. I have a pin set at 40 yards because I constantly practice at that range and am confident that I can hit what I’m aiming at from that distance. Plus, my bow is fast enough that the animal won’t have that much time to react to the sound of my arrow being released. Don’t get me wrong though, I’ll still take the 20 yard shot over the 40 yard shot any day! If you aren’t comfortable at the 40 yard range, do yourself, your fellow hunters, and the animal a favor, pass up the shot. I like to get the game I’m trying to harvest in close. Since I am the most comfortable taking a 20-yard shot, my top pin is centered in the sight housing. For a shot within 22 ½ yards, all I have to do is center my sight housing in my peep sight (which centers my pin in my peep sight) and put the top pin on my target. But this also means that my 30 and 40-yard pins are below center in my sight housing. But that’s ok…for shots using those pins, simply raise your bow to use either your 30 or 40-yard pin and center the pin in your peep sight. Remember, your pins won’t be centered in the sight housing but since your pin is centered in your peep sight, you’ll know that your pin will be where you want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment